Aviation on the Space Coast
Central Florida and Brevard County is a hotbed of general aviation activity! The combination of our warm year-round climate, aviation infrastructure, local technology and business centers, aerospace-literate population, and relatively low fuel prices compared to other areas of the country are some of the factors that brings pilots to this area. Whether you're looking at General Aviation from a manufacturing, training, business, or recreational standpoint, this is the place to be!
Facts About General Aviation In Brevard County:
- There are 5 public, 3 privately-owned, and 3 government or military airports within Brevard County.
- Brevard airports provide the means to quickly and efficiently access over 19,800 public and private airports and heliports around the country.
- There are about 1,800 licensed pilots living in Brevard County alone.
- There are nearly 500 privately-owned and over 150 corporately-owned aircraft in Brevard County.
General Aviation Businesses On The Space Coast:
The Space Coast area depends upon a variety of General Aviation-related businesses. Whether large or small, many of these businesses are at the forefront in their respective fields, and employ many local residents and inject many millions of dollars into our economy. Here are a few examples showing the many businesses that depend upon our thriving aviation community:
Piper Aircraft, Liberty Aerospace, Comp Air, Aero Adventure, Steen Aero Lab, Recreational Mobility, Shapes Aerospace International, Velocity Aircraft, Advanced Aero
- Flight Training: FIT, FlightSafety, Bristow Academy, Voyager Aviation, DeBenair Aviation Services, Atlas Aviation, Silver State Helicopters
Skydive Space Coast, Skydive Sebastian
- Aerial Advertising
- Aerial Application (Cropdusting)
Many local farms use in-house or independently contracted cropduster services
- Aircraft Parts
East Coast Aviation Supply
- Aircraft Servicing and Maintenance
FIT Aviation, Atlantic Jet, Atlas Aviation, Brevard County, Space Coast Jet Center
- Contracted Security Operations
AirScan, Presidential Airways
- Charter and Sightseeing Aircraft
Baer Air, Vintage Props and Jets, Presidential Airways, Katabi Helicopters
- Aerial Photography and Surveying
JB Aerial Photography, Cocoa Beach Photography
- Other Services
Public-Use Aviation Activities in Brevard
Local governments use General Aviation in many ways to serve the public interest. In Brevard, here are some ways our local government helps us with General Aviation:
- Law Enforcement
Brevard County Sheriff's Office has a small fleet of helicopters that are based out of Merritt Island.
- Mosquito Control
Brevard County Mosquito Control operates both fixed-wing and helicopter spray aircraft out of Space Coast Executive and Valkria Airports
BCMC also has a water-drop capability, and firefighting aircraft from other places are occasionally based at Brevard airports on an as-needed basis.
NASA operates several aircraft used for research, VIP transport, and for supporting space launches.
- Anti-Narcotics Operations
The US State Department and DynCorp have a maintenance and training base at Patrick AFB for their (officially civilian) foreign anti-narcotics aircraft operations.
As you can see, General Aviation is an integral part of our community and our economy!